Thursday, March 17, 2016

The Silver Belt



This week, I spent my "blogging time" writing a short story for my history class. The subject: The Holocaust. I decided to post my short story as this week's article. Yeah, yeah, I know, the Holocaust wasn't the Civil War, but if you think about it, Jews at the concentration camps were basically slaves. Though the Southern plantation owners needed their workers and the Jews were meant to die.

The Silver Belt: A Story of the Holocaust



When Papa died, he told me to take care of the family. Now that we’re separated at Auschwitz, I can’t do that.

My name is Jonas Stein. This is my story.

I’m prisoner number B6886, or so the tattoo reads on my left arm. My family and I have been imprisoned by the Germans for the last 2 years at this horrendous place called Auschwitz, a death camp. I hate the Germans. They took everything away from me: My family, my money, my home, my sanity….

I’m a Jew. When I was 14, our home in Poland was invaded by German SS soldiers. They told us we had 1 hour to pack our things and come with them. We were right in the middle of Shiva, the seven days of mourning after losing our father to influenza, but the Germans don’t care about Jewish rituals. My Mutter began to weep, and my sisters looked at me for direction. After Papa died, he told me I was the man of the house now. So I took control and began stuffing some clothes and food into sacks. I had no idea how long we’d be gone, and I wanted to be ready. My twin, Elizabet, came to her senses and began choosing some dresses and books for her and Jennie. At twelve, Jennie tried to console Mutter. I placed pewter candlesticks in the sack, and placed the only silver coins we had inside notches I made inside my belt. Papa had worked hard to make the money that would’ve sent us to America. If only we had left a month earlier.

We went down the steps of our apartment, and went out into the street, where we joined a huge crowd of our Jewish neighbors. The Germans lined us up and copied down our names, then went through each of our belongings. They told us they would keep them safe and that we would get them back later. I didn’t believe them, but hesitantly handed everything over, except for the coins in my belt. I would keep them for now. They didn’t know about them…yet. I didn’t realize that while walking to the trucks I was experiencing the last ounce of freedom I would have for over 2 years.

Everybody assumed we were being moved to one big Jewish neighborhood, like most of their relatives from surrounding villages had been told. We were loaded on trucks, bused to a train, and loaded onto cattle cars. It was crowded, and they quickly ran out of room. Then they locked us in like prisoners to wait out the night. We spent the first half an hour trying to get everyone into a comfortable sitting position. My legs were cramped all night and I longed to stretch them out. The train finally began to jolt sometime in the morning. I could see the sun through a crack, and could hear German soldiers boarding the train. I was happy to be moving, but little did I realize how much I would miss the stillness of that sunrise.

Since the train car was black, the sun quickly heated it. Inside the car, the heat was sweltering.  Jennie seemed to be fading, and Mutter kept fanning herself, but Elizabet and I seemed to be holding up. I noticed a little later that my eyesight began to waver, and I began shivering despite the heat. I was the man of this family, so I didn’t say anything about it.
A few hours later, the train stopped, and the doors opened. The cool air was refreshing; however, the Germans only stopped the train to load more passengers onto our already-full car. We were all standing as they shoved more and more into the car until there wasn’t space to turn around. One woman fainted, but we were packed in so tightly that she stayed standing. I was so hungry I felt dizzy, but I knew if I vomited it would only join the mess already on the train floor. The smell was overwhelming. I tried unsuccessfully to convince myself I was back in school cleaning toilets; a paradise compared to this.

When they ran out of passengers to shove on our cars, they handed us a small bucket of water and a basket of bread. Our family was so far back in the car that we didn’t get any before the bucket was dry. I did give Jennie and Mutter a small bread crust I found to share, but otherwise we got nothing.

It was after 3 more days of jolting and stopping and sweating when we finally were allowed out of the cattle car. My head hurt. I had already fainted inside the car, but I had to gather my strength for the girls. I was the man; I had to lead them to safety. I would, or die trying.
The Germans led the hot, starving crowd down a steep hill pathway, and into a wooded area. I was terrified, but I tried not to let it show. Elizabet held Mutter’s arm, and I supported Jennie. Her already-thin frame was easy to carry, but she worried me. She had just gotten over influenza herself.  I led the Stein family firmly, with my shoulders back and head held high. They were treating us like animals, but I wouldn’t prove them right. We are humans. We are Jews, God’s chosen. He would get us out of this.

I saw the barbed-wire fences long before we arrived. The stench of burning…something filled my noise, and I began to gag. I don’t think I will ever forget that horrific smell. It came from the biggest building on the 50 acre property. The whispers through the crowd said that building was the gas chambers. Before, I had only heard rumors about them; but now it stood right in front of me. The crematory, used to “bury the evidence” was feet from the gas chambers. The Germans lined us up and separated us by gender: Women on the left, Men on the right, Children/Elderly in the center. Jennie always considered her 12 years to be above child status, so she stayed with Elizabet and stood tall. Mutter cried to see me stand with the men; and I prayed a special prayer for her to have strength. Elizabet gave me the twin look: She’d take care of the girls; I just had to take care of me. Our family would pull through and reunite someday. I nodded in response.

Separated, we were marched into an office, took off our clothes and stood to be inspected by a doctor. I shivered; I knew that I’d never get those coins from my belt back. I just prayed no one else found them. They were hidden, after all. The doctor looked me over and determined I was healthy enough to work. It was selfish; I’m sure, to be sad when they shaved me head, but I loved the dark locks that I got from Papa. I was given a shirt and pants, with a big “X” in the back in different color fabric. The pants were too small, and the shirt too large, but you didn’t complain. One man did, and he was taken out and never seen again. I looked down at my bleeding left arm, where they gave me my identification number tattoo: B6886. I was now reduced to a number, just like an animal.

 The guards told us that this camp was called Auschwitz.

Auschwitz was a place where Germans worked Jews and other outcasts until they died, and killed the weak along the way. Thousands daily poured into this place, and none were ever meant to leave.

 I was given a bunk with 6 other men, though the bunk was made to fit 3. They were stacked 4 bunks to the ceiling, with 12 bunks around the room. This bunker wasn’t made to fit so many men, but that’s exactly what the Germans wanted. The bed was alive with fleas; and the stench was unbearable. Some got nauseous and went outside for air, but were shot before returning. The Germans didn’t spare anybody. If you got sick and didn’t go to roll call, you got shot. If you couldn’t do your work, or even looked like fighting back, you got shot. The guards sometimes just shot people for fun. The barbed wire electric fence around the border of camp also killed people trying to escape, or just trying to end the struggle to live. This camp was made to kill any last ounce of hope, any last humanity a person kept hold of.

Prisoner B6886 stayed alive for two years in that filth. I worked my hands to the bone, and then some. I had lost most of the spirit I had when I was watching over my family. Then, my women needed me, so I had to stay alive. But Auschwitz takes the spirit out of you real fast. I have stared death in the face several times and have resolved to not let the Germans win over me, but that resolution had mostly faded over those 2 years of ghastly torture. I had once thought that God would redeem us from this prison, but now I can see I was wrong. He really didn’t care about us Jews. He didn’t care about me.

I saw Elizabet a few times in those 2 years, in secret. We would meet at the fence at noon, and whispered quickly so as not to get caught. Every time I feared she wouldn’t come, and every time she looked less and less alive. Her once sturdy frame was stooped from working in bad light, and her eyes seemed to bulge out of her head. Almost all of her hair had fallen out after they had shaved her beautiful auburn curls off. Yet what she told me over those meetings tore open my already broken heart: First that Mutter had died, and a year later that Jennie had disappeared. We were the only ones left. I hated the Germans even more: They had beaten my mother to dust, and my sister was gone. These men were monsters. How could they go home at night and kiss their child with Jewish blood on their hands?
Elizabet told me they made her construct radios and equipment for the Nazi regime to use in war. That sounded like paradise compared to my rock carrying and latrine digging. It was back breaking work, and with the moldy bread scrap and hot water they called “soup”, I knew I wouldn’t last much longer.

As the man of the Stein household, I had given up emotions when the Germans entered our house that day. But they began to win over me; I grew exhausted, depressed and full of despair. I was sure I would never leave that horrid place. I had given in to their mind games; I was forced to live like an animal, and I began to think like an animal. I grew sicker and sicker every day. I just wanted to disappear; go see Papa and Mutter in God’s Heaven. Every day I would collapse carrying rocks.

That was when I was selected to go on forest pit-digging duty. Every pit that was ever dug was then filled with the diggers’ bodies. I didn’t even look for a way out; the fight was drained out of me. While being taken to the truck, some young man fainted; and the guards began to laugh. The laugh was harsh and humiliating, and I’ll forever remember those Germans laughing. I heard it when Mutter fell while walking to Auschwitz…when someone screamed for help from inside the cattle car…while praying the Lord’s Prayer in Hebrew like I’d always been taught walking toward death, away from freedom. That was the last straw. From then on, I knew I had to survive. I had to show that though they took everything away from me, I was still alive. I began to search the woods for an escape. My heart began racing; thinking fast, I climbed into the truck. Maybe on the way I could….

“Men.” I was taken aback by the guard who looked us prisoners in the eye. He looked to make sure no other guards were near, then said “I’ll drive slow. Any of you who wish to live, jump and run the other way. Just don’t tell the Germans about me.”  I decided to take this chance for escape. I would never receive another, I believed. I waited a mile out of camp, and then I jumped, and I was the only one who did. I ran to the tall grass and hid until nightfall. I heard the shots as the pit-diggers were killed, and praised the God I knew was out there somewhere that that soldier had laughed. That laugh changed everything. It had returned my spirit.

I jumped into a creek—made of melted snow from the harsh winter--and swam downstream to the fence wall. Across this last barbed wire fence was freedom. The water was icy, and I was frozen by the time I got there, but I was as numb to fear as to cold. I was going to get free, then go back and get my sister. That was my plan. I’d work on the “how to do it” part later.

I found a group of workers going outside to do factory work, a privilege given only to the select few. I tried to look like I was part of their group, but I knew I couldn’t do it with my soaking-wet pants. I had to change to look the part. So I found a pile of clothes that was from gas chamber victims, and slipped on a pair. It was at least 3 sizes too big, so I reached for a belt too. Though mismatched, it would have to do. I prayed the guards didn’t notice me wearing different pants than everyone else.

I slipped into the middle of the group, and the guards didn’t notice, though the prisoners did. After we left the walls, they began to ask me in Hungarian, Polish, Danish and something I recognized as Eastern what I was doing. I told them I was late to join the group, and wanted to catch up. I knew I lied to them, but I figured at this life or death situation, God would forgive me. They just shrugged me off and ignored me. After a few miles of walking, I decided to play dead. I figured the guards would leave me and I could then escape. The plan worked, until a German decided to have some fun and shoot the corpse I was supposed to be. Being shot in close range really tore my shoulder up, but thankfully he was a bad shot and missed my heart. I thought for sure he was going to kill me.

I stayed there until they were out of sight, and then cried as I sat up. My shoulder bled, and I shoved my hand into the wound to stop the bleeding. Running toward the nearest woods, I slept there all night. I never knew leaves made such a good bandage. I woke up weeks later, in a real house, in a real bed.

Apparently, some men fleeing like I had had found me, half dead, lying by the trunk where I fell asleep. They took turns carrying me to town, where they found refuge inside a kindly woman’s barn. There they left me. It was easier to hide just one, and they wanted to keep going. When my shoulder healed, and I got some of my strength back, I decided to take the train to another town, farther from Auschwitz. The kind woman offered to pay my way, but I wouldn’t take any of her money. She’d done enough for me. As I walked toward the train depot, I tried to figure out what to do. The woman had bound up my shoulder, but I took off the sling to hide the evidence of a wound. I adjusted my belt; feeling a notch on the inside. I couldn’t believe it: There were silver coins hidden inside this belt! I looked down, it was my belt from all those years ago!? God had saved me through utter terror, and given me the money to escape. He hadn’t forgotten me after all. I would survive. With tears streaming down my face, I thanked God over and over for not leaving me after all. I was going to live through this.

Epilogue: Jonas always planned to go back and find Elizabet. Even after he took refuge with a kind priest, he was planning his return to the terrible Auschwitz. However, Auschwitz was liberated before he could return, and soldiers helped Elizabet and Jonas reunite.
Though Jonas knew that Jennie disappeared, he didn’t find out until he met up with Elizabet that Jennie had actually escaped Auschwitz basically the same way Jonas himself had. She hid with an old shoemaker as his German apprentice for a year, and then fled to relatives in Poland. The family was reunited 2 years after the liberation of Auschwitz, 4 years after leaving home into the hands of the Germans.

The Stein family, now reduced to 3, immigrated to America in 1948. Jonas found work as a stonemason, which is ironic after his experience carrying rocks in Auschwitz. Elizabet married an Irish factory worker, and Jennie worked as a seamstress. Jonas never went back to Germany; and said he never intended to. He was an American now, and he was never looking back. He died a happy man, with 4 children and 15 grandchildren. He was remembered as a man who loved to laugh, saying that he was trying to cover the hate in his mind with the love of his family.

Please note: This is a story of fiction based on real people and events.


Sources:
Ten Boom, Corrie. The Hiding Place. Old Tappan, Bantam: 1971. Print.
Zullo, Allan. Escape: Children of the Holocaust. New York, Scholastic: 2009. Print.





No comments:

Post a Comment