Monday, May 23, 2016

Behind the Song: Letters From Home

I'm getting really tired of Civil War.

I'm serious, I can't wait for the hype to die down. 

Why are you staring at me like that? Oh, I'm sorry....

       Image Source     
                                    


                 This Civil War. 
                      

Don't get me wrong, I love Marvel just as much as the next person. But, I'm getting tired of the name Marvel decided on for their Captain America movie. 

Every time I google 'Civil War', I get ads for the Captain America movie right next to my Civil War soldiers pictures (what I'm actually looking for). That's how I found the picture at the top of this page. Why did they have to pick one of the most popular American topics to name their movie? Maybe once I see the movie I'll change my opinion, but I don't know....

Anyway, let's get on with the post for this week. 

We're going to talk about the song "Letters From Home", which was made popular by John Michael Montgomery. 

Yeah, Yeah, I know. “Letters from Home” was released in 2004 and not in the 1860’s. But I think John Michael Montgomery’s song was written for soldiers--no matter what time of our nation’s history--who ever received a letter from home. And, with Memorial Day coming up, its time we bring some of these historical figures to our modern day lives.

On a side note, getting mail was a luxury in the Civil War days, and it was not treated lightly by the soldiers. These men were either in extreme hardship or extreme boredom--there is no middle ground in war--and both Union and Confederate soldiers treasured those words written on whatever paper their loved ones could find, sometimes just on wallpaper. The mail would bring them a letter from a mother, sibling, sweetheart or maybe just a friend; connecting a lonely man to his family back home.

Anyway, back to the 'Letters From Home' review. 

It was written by Tony Lane and David Lee. It was said to be inspired by seeing a parting couple at the airport.



The first verse of the song is a letter from the soldier’s mother. A very practical letter, it conceals all the worry she carries. She asks about his health and tells of the news of the town. She ends her “letter” by speaking for his father, who wouldn’t send anything in her letter. She makes sure to tell her son that his father loves him, even if he never hears from him.
"Your stubborn old daddy ain't said too much, but I'm sure you know he sends his love; 
And she goes on. . . .In a letter from home."

The chorus talks of his soldier side. His letter is what breaks the monotony of the Army life. The guys around him laugh at his accent when he speaks of his mother. But then its back to work, waiting for the next letter.
"I fold it up and put it in my shirt, pick up my gun and get back to work; 
But it keeps my driving on, waiting on . . .Letters from home." 

The next letter/verse is from his girlfriend or fiancee (interpretation could go either way). She couldn't sleep, and was worried about him thanks to a troubling news report. But in a letter, she manages to send him her love.*(Please see below)
"But I'll be all right, I'm just missing you;
And this is me kissing you, X's & O's . . .in a letter from home."

The chorus changes from the boys making fun of his accent to jeering him about his girl back home. 

The last verse is the core theme of the song. Its a letter from his dad, who admits to not writing, but feels like he had to tell his soldier son how truly proud he was. We can imagine the feeling of a man hearing his father saying he's proud of him, which is conveyed in the last chorus as his friends give him the privacy to tear up. But then its right back to business, waiting for another letter.
"But no one laughs, cause there's ain't nothing funny when a soldier cries; 
And I just wipe my eyes.
I fold it up and put it in my shirt, pick up my gun and get back to work,
But it keeps me driving on, waiting on . . . . . . . . .letters from home."

This song sums up our soldiers fighting for us right today. Yes, they're showing extreme patriotism and bravery as they put their life on the line in the name of freedom. But they're still human. They long to hear from us, their family back home. Its the same for our veterans. As Memorial Day approaches, let's be sure to thank those who put everything on the line for us. They have stories; they long to tell them. Let me encourage, no, let me push you: Talk to a veteran. Trust me, they're just waiting to tell you the coolest story you'll ever hear. Let's not let our soldiers die fighting for people who never talk to them, never thank them. Thank a veteran this week. It'll make not only their day, but your's.

*Let me note: I do not support this part of the song. The second verse veers on the edge of love and inappropriate behavior specifically when the music video implies they live together. I just imagine they're married, and forget the "ring line". Its otherwise a clean song. 

Just letting you know, I'm still seeking suggestions for blog posts! If you have any ideas or questions for articles, let me know in the comments. If I gather enough, I may make a post just for answering questions. These questions can be Civil War in general, or personal to me as applicable to the Civil War.








2 comments:

  1. Great review, Abbie! I really like the idea of analyzing a song. Okay, here's my question for the Q&A post: When and how did you first become interested in the Civil War?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michaela! I'm going to do more song reviews in the future, so stay tuned. :) Great question! I'll definitely keep this one for the Q&A post!

      Delete