Thursday, August 18, 2016

Dancing at the Encampment

Image Source

This past weekend, my family and I set out to enjoy a weekend of camping. We had been camping several times this summer, but this particular trip was the highlight of them all that I was waiting for. I even took off the whole weekend at work to enjoy these three special days.

Why?

Oh, the reason is obvious. It was Civil War Encampment weekend! What sounds more awesome than that?

Well, considering some of  you are not sure, let me convince you. We started off the weekend with Friday night's event, the dance....



Now, this wasn't just a dance, this was a Civil War dance. Er, Civil War walking. The dances in Civil War days were mainly walking, as we were told upon entering the rec hall. And though the dances were designed on walking around with different steps, there's so much more to Civil War dancing than just simply "walking".

The "audience" was invited to partake in the dancing from the first dance, called the "Grand March". What you did was pair up in couples, and literally walk into the building and around in circles together. It was supposed to be the dance that, in the 19th century, would help the ladies size up the others' dresses. What better way to see everyone else's outfits than to literally march around showing them off?

The ratio of men to women was very lopsided at this event-there were many more women participating. But, as my sister and I paired up as a 'couple' (I was acting the gentleman) the caller of the dances pointed out that because of the men being off at war, having ladies pair up together in couples was very normal and realistic. I had to laugh when she also pointed out that some dances were done in hospitals, with men dancing together to form the couples!

They taught us how to do several dances, from the German Waltz (AKA the Scandalous Waltz because of the close contact you make while waltzing), Sicilian Circles, and the ever famous Virginia Reel. The Virginia Reel was probably my favorite, with a close second being to the last dance they taught us, called the "Snowball Reel". They lined us all up, gents on one side, ladies on the other, and the top couple spiraled its way down the line, then the next couple, and so on. We probably had 20 couples, so by the time someone twirled with the wrong person, it became a ton of fun. Two of the young ladies, dressed in correct Civil War fashion, had obviously done the dance several times before, and really got into it as they spun the top gent around with all their might. Remember how I said it was more than just walking? I was out of breath and panting with excitement by the time all the hopping, spinning, twirling and laughing was done. Such an awesome experience it was.

To top the weekend off, there was an encampment where reenactors discussed cannons, brass bands, medical equipment and toys. There was also a lonely Confederate officer talking about the two most popular muskets used on both sides. It was such a wonderful weekend, with the Friday night dance as the highlight, that I can't tell you exactly how I felt doing something I want to do myself someday. It made me want to start putting my outfit together so I could teach others to dance too! 

Thanks so much to my family for dealing with me over the weekend! Remember that I told you I was super excited? Well, I meant it. I probably went a little crazy being that close to Civil War tents and hoop skirts. And, I was a little jealous of all the ladies' dresses.....

I can't wait to go back next year! And maybe this time I'll know how to waltz.....!!!!

Warning: Be careful around me if I ever do learn to do the dances. I may have you hopping and twirling and dancing right with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment